The Village of Union Springs, New York, United States is south of the location of the former Cayuga Tribe village of Gwau-gwah. The Native American village was a target of the Sullivan Expedition of 1779. After the war, a reservation was established for the Cayuga Tribe that returned. Mineral springs near the village made it an important health spa accessed by packet boat on Cayuga Lake and by railroad.The village was incorporated in 1848. As of the census of 2000, there were 1,074 people, 429 households, and 293 families residing in the village. The Peter Yawger House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. The Almeron Durkee House, Charles Howland-William H. Chase House, and William Richardson House were listed in 2005.